Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The American Dream

The subject for my BFA project is the 'American Dream.' It's hard to decided how to narrow down to a topic because the idea is just so broad. I've been narrowing it down in my mind, and i've been doing a lot of research on it as well, you can see it here on my other blog: http://paperjoe.blogspot.com/2008/08/american-dream.html

The topic is diverse, and almost undefinable. What's important though, is that the American dream is unique, because the country itself, was founded by a dream, it was founded by dreamers. And that dream still lives on in the hearts of Americans, and people living in America today.

I've read many books, and have taken many notes trying to dissect and learn more about the American dream. The successes, the failures, the good aspects of the dream as well as the bad ones, the evolution of the 'dream' and how much it was changed.

Right now, I think I want to explore the positive and negative aspects of the 'American Dream'(example: How it can aspire people to work hard and move up (socially,financially, etc.) as opposed to people who work hard but go nowhere losing hope of their dreams), along with how much it's changed over the years(started with freedom of religion, immigration, social rights, wealth, property ownership, etc)

I've enjoyed reading books related to dream such as 'of Mice and Men' and 'THe Great Gatsby' along with articles and research books on the Dream.

My perspective on American Culture and history has defenitley changed, being exposed to all this has been rejuvenating in a sense. I feel more connected to my country than I did before, and as the offspring of Immigrants, I really appreciate all this country has, and has had, to offer.

No comments: